Teachers who want to learn more about teaching with technology will find this Massive Open Online Course (MOOC), Introduction to Technology-Enabled Learning (TEL), informative and engaging. Using up-to-date learning design and simple, accessible technology, the course runs on an easy-to-use learning platform available via the Internet. The course is designed for teachers who want to build on their knowledge and practice in teaching and learning with technology. It will run over five weeks and requires approximately three to five hours of time each week. Designed to accommodate teachers’ busy schedules, the course offers flexibility with options for learning the content. You will learn from readings, videos, discussions with other participants and instructors, meaningful exercises, quizzes and short assignments. Certification is available for those who wish to complete all required exercises and quizzes.
- Meet online with teachers all over the world who are also learning about technology-enabled learning
- Be supported by instructors who understand technology-enabled teaching and learning
- Explore easy-to-use technologies for classroom and online teaching
- Evaluate best fit technologies for teaching/learning contexts
- Experience a fun and collaborative learning environment via the Internet
- Receive a certificate on completion of required activities
Who Should Participate?
Introduction to Technology-Enabled Learning is designed for teachers in diverse contexts – secondary education, post-secondary education and vocational education. You will benefit from this course if you are teaching face-to-face or in a distance/online environment. Anyone interested in improving teaching and learning would enjoy participating in this MOOC.
Learners will investigate technology-enabled learning activities that make use of a wide range of educational technologies:
- successful learning approaches implemented by educators in various teaching contexts;
- open and available resources that support technology-enabled activities; and
- teaching presence in the context of technology-enhanced learning environments.
Learners will explore various educational technologies to enhance teaching and learning through review and discussion of:
- the purpose and types of educational technologies;
- the unique opportunities provided by educational technologies; and
- how specific educational technologies enhance the teaching and learning experience.
Learners will examine the application of educational technologies to address challenges in different educational contexts:
- how content, pedagogy and education technologies are interrelated;
- when to integrate educational technologies, subject matter and pedagogy to enhance teaching and learning; and
- the processes for selection and application of educational technologies to address particular challenges in different teaching contexts.
Learners will develop and share a plan for technology-enabled learning in their own teaching and learning context by:
- creating a practical application of educational technology;
- sharing and explaining a personal, practical application of educational technologies; and
- discussing the challenges in creating technology-enabled learning plans.
Learners will reflect upon the role teaching presence with technology and the processes used to develop educational technology-enabled lessons, including
- learning theory and activities which could work in their individual teaching context;
- potential roadblocks and challenges to implementation of technology-enabled learning; and
- how technology can support teaching presence.
Two levels of certification are available based on your level of participation and completion of tasks/activities:
- Certificate of Participation: requires participation in at least 3 discussion forums and completion of quizzes.
- Certificate of Completion: requires 60% on all quizzes, participation in at least 3 discussion forums and the creation and sharing of a technology-enabled object
Meet the Instructors